from (C)OVID'S METAMORPHOSIS, Book the Third

The Death of Pentheus

The pangs I had while spying
on the orgies along 
the outskirts, how they coupled,
thrupled, & quintupled, all with the ease
with which the javelin might find
the boar’s heart.  Alas,
I had been out of the house for too long
in search of agave syrup as a substitute
for refined sugar, & my mask
had begun to slip somewhat, 
revealing the skeleton beneath.
Someone & screamed  someone
yanked upon my arm 
as though it were a tissue 
from a box.  They were sneezing 
& laughing & touching faces
like screens.  Friends, 
I lost my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

from (C)OVID'S METAMORPHOSIS, Book the Fifth

Calliope sings: Persephone's fate It's too late to question the logic of curses, to second guess why some birds deserve h...